The Community: Phitsanulok
Encompassing an area of 10,815 square kilometres, the Proserous province of Phitsanulok is divided into nine districts. The province is approximately 490 kilometers north of Bangkok and it serves as a trading and transportation link between the northern and the central regions of Thailand.
The former name "Song Kwae" was changed to Phitsanulok during the fifteenth century by King Boromatrilokanart and the city was the residence of Crown Princes during the Ayutthaya period (1350-1767). Phitsanulok was the birthplace of King Naresuan the Great (reign: 1590 - 1605), and his brother Prince Ekathosarot. The province was a major centre of recruitment when Ayuthaya waged war with Burma, and was the capital of Thailand for 25 years during the 1448-1488 reign of the Ayuthaya, King Boromtrailokanat.
Before becoming the university it is today, Naresuan University journeyed through several stages of struggle and growth. Initially, it was an offshoot of the then College of Education, under the Ministry of Education. As part of the Department of Teacher Education's policy to expand degree programs in teacher education upcountry, the Department of Teacher Education, the Council of the College of Education, on January 18, 196A, resolved to establish a campus of the College of Education in Phitsanulok. On January 25,1967, the Ministry of Education, by the authority vested in the College of Education Act B.E. 2497 (1954), issues an executive order to establish the College of Education, Phitsanulok – the fourth campus after Prasarnmitr, Pathumwan, and Bangsaen campuses, respectively.
In 1974, the College of Education, Phitsanulok, was granted university status under the name Srinakharinwirot University, Phitsanulok. This campus remained part of Srinakharinwirot University for 16 years until in 1990, when it became Naresuan University.
Naresuan University (NU), located in Phitsanulok, Thailand, was named after King Naresuan the Great. Formerly a campus of Srinakharinwirot University, NU was established as a public university in 1990. Although not many years have passed since its inception, NU has already earned the reputation of being one of the most progressive universities in Thailand. It aims to be a comprehensive university dedicated to the development of world-class graduates and new knowledge for the purpose of creating excellent resources for regional and national development.
Naresuan University is a governmental institution developed from the Phitsanulok campus of Srinakarinwirot University on the 29 July, 1990. The auspicious occasion represented the 400th anniversary of the ascending to the throne of King Naresuan the Great. Serving as a foundation of higher education in nine provinces of the lower northern region, along with Phayao Province, Naresuan University has long been recognized for its innovative academic excellence and outstanding achievement in both research and professional services.
The University has its IT campus network at Chiang Mai, Kamphang Phet, Nakhon Sawan, Phetchaboon, Phayao, Phrae, Sukhothai, Tak, and Uttradit.
Naresuan University is a comprehensive university offering more than 58 undergraduate and 55 graduate programs in the fields of Agricultura Sciencel, Natural Resources, Environmental Science; Allied Health Science; Architecture; Dentistry; Education; Engineering; Humanities, Social Sciences; Medicine; Nursing; Pharmaceutical Sciences, Law, Medical Sciences and Science. (follow links to find out more about each Faculty).
To achieve the university mission, which is to distribute opportunity for higher education to students in the lower northern region of Thailand, 70 % of undergraduate students in the University academic programs are grade 12 students from 9 Provinces of the Lower Northern area and from Phayao. Another 30% are students from all over the country who take the National Entrance Examination to enter the University. Exchange students with a strong academic record from other universities, either inside or outside the country, are welcome. Graduate students can enroll in full-time or part-time programs. The University currently has approximately 25, 000 students, and 1,500 faculty and staff members.
In addition, the University offers opportunities for research and academic service in the following centres under the Office of the President: Solar Energy Research and Training Center (SERT), Quality Assurance Unit, Language Centre, Myanmar Studies Center, Gender Studies Center, and International College. Further details of these centers can be obtained from the directors of each center (click on the links).
For more information please contact via the:
International Relations Office
Phitsanulok 65000 THAILAND
Tel: +66 55 261080
Fax: +66 55 261005